Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

pulling with snap on cover

1pointofview
1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
ok, so I am pulling my 2013 ss188 to the coast from TN.  I will drive about 275 miles down the highway at 70-75mph.  Then will be driving another 150 or so miles on 45-55 mph roads and such.  So my question is, has anyone driven long distances with a snap cover on?  would like to put a few things like beach chairs and just to protect the interior in the boat and would like to know if people have pulled with the snap cover or is there any other means to cover their boat. thanks
2013 Hurricane SS188
115 Yam
Magic Tilt Trailer
Hotty Toddy

Comments

• Broadway
    Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    driving with snap cover on equals bad news.   The cover can fly off leaving anything you have stowed to fly out and you can pop the snaps off on the boat and the cover.  always tow with it off.  I do see people that tow with it on.  it is a gamble that I cannot afford.

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

• 1pointofview
    yeah, i have seen people drive with them as well and on the highway.  It does seem like a gamble but wanted to see what others know.  I saw other threads of people putting custom covers that you can strap to the trailer.  450 mile drive, would love to be able to put things like floats, chairs and bulky light stuff in the boat and not in the truck.  Thanks, just wanted to ask out loud to an answer I kinda already knew
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I've travelled highway speeds for 120 miles before with my snap cover with no issues however I generally never travel with it beyond spring and fall storage and retrieval.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • servmgr64
    servmgr64 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I prefer to tow my fd226 with it covered. I drive about 60 & take it easy. The hurricane cover is not made for towing, but I usually tow less than 50 miles 1 way. When my hurricane cover gives out I will get a custom cover made that is for towing. I have found previous boats that they seem to tow easier when covered, this Hurricane is not an exception.
    servmgr64 2013 FD226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Our boat stays on a lift in a covered slip in a marina so I have no experience with long distance highway towing, but I would agree with the above and be hesitant to tow with a snap on cover on a trip that long.  Having said that, on other forums, folks have mentioned for long distance highway towing using duct tape across the front and a portion of the sides of the cover to keep air from getting under the cover between the snaps.

I also think the type of tow vehicle may have an impact as well.  I would think something like a Tahoe/Yukon might keep the air off the front of the boat better than a pickup, but then I am not an engineer, so what do I know.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • 1pointofview
    I am going on our normal 1.5 hr lake trip this weekend.  While at Lowes I found a cool little gadget I am going to try out that may fix 2 concerns I have while towing.  First is the inside of the boat getting all grimy and such when the boat gets wet and then drive it down the road getting the inside of the boat nasty. Also, the seat with the slide locks keeps breaking the slide lock because of the wind/road vibration.  A cover will fix that by shielding the interior from the wind.

The second issue I have is the front latter hatch keeps flying open when I hit bumps at highway speeds.

So, while at Lowes I found this little thing that I am going to try.  It is a tarp clip that I can use to connect to points on my snap on cover and either secure to the trailer or connect to the other side of the cover.

Either way, I am just going to use it for my short trips but the clips at the very least should protect from a complete cover release while on the road. 

http://www.parts-express.com/crocodile-releasable-tarp-clip--269-022?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I also had my bow ladder door constanly pop up during transport.  My dealer installed another post clip and it solved the problem (no charge).

I have used the tarp clips you found at Lowes to put a tarp over my previous boat during storage and they work pretty well.  I have never driven down the road with them securing anything, so I don't know how they will hold up with that kind of constant pressure.  Let us know how it works out for you.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• ss188rider
    ss188rider Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I don't recommend it.  I tried leaving the cover on during transport of my 2013 ss188 last year.  After 10 miles of going 65 mph, the cover came off and broke several snaps from the bow of the boat.  I have a trolling motor at the bow and I can't snap in all.  I used 2 straps that went across the boat to secure the cover.  The cover might have worked if I had used another strap near the bow of the boat?
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    1pointofview, just curious, on what lake do you boat in TN?  I am on Center Hill.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • 1pointofview
    I go to center hill and tims ford.  Will be in center hill this weekend
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • rebmommj
    rebmommj Member Posts: 9
    yeah, i have seen people drive with them as well and on the highway.  It does seem like a gamble but wanted to see what others know.  I saw other threads of people putting custom covers that you can strap to the trailer.  450 mile drive, would love to be able to put things like floats, chairs and bulky light stuff in the boat and not in the truck.  Thanks, just wanted to ask out loud to an answer I kinda already knew
    HOTTY toddy fellow rebel!  We have retired & live near Gulf Shores now...so we r fortunate enough to just keep ours @ local marina. But remember all the gear we brought over the years.  
  • blivet
    blivet Member Posts: 8
    I learned the hard way it will stretch the cover. I would recommend a cover that is strapped with bungees to the trailer or around the hull. Stays tight.