Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Problem filling boat with gas.

Options
doncon
doncon Member Posts: 2
New hurricane 2013 Sun Deck,.when filling up at gas station or with five gallon container problem with gas spilling out of boat.  A blow back.  Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @doncon, all boats are designed that the vent on the fuel filler hose is smaller and positioned to minimize  moisture into the fuel tank.  As such, you need to slow fill them.  

If you slow fill it (and I mean slow to start) and still get it, my guess is you may have a blockage in the vent tube on your fill hose.  

Here is a thread I responded to previously with a diagram of what a filler hose and vent look like.

Hope this helps.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the slow fill method, and yes, it is due to the internal vent design.  

I always seem to get some spillage no matter how slow when I fill up.  Less than a fill up usually is not a problem.  Since fuel spillage on the lake is a big deal where I live (I have a gas caddy I use to bring gas to the boat), I just found out and bought a product that goes over the gas nozzle to absorb any fuel that shoots out the fill called a fuel collar.  It probably won't work with land based gas station nozzles due to the plastic collar on them, but gas caddy, gas can and marine based fuel station gas nozzles will accommodate them.

Here's a link to the product for anyone interested:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• tom8909
    tom8909 Member Posts: 11
    Options

I have the same problem on my 2014 201 SSOB, when I use my siphon hose will not take gas w/o over flowing, so I have to restrict the flow with 1/4 fitting. Fills very slow.