Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

200 HP on 188 OB too much?

Options
JohnL
JohnL Member Posts: 6

Just purchasing a 2014 188 OB and looking at a 200 HP Honda.  The boat will have a variety of uses - everything from pulling tubes, skiing, cruising (6-7 passengers at most), etc.  Top end speed is not as big an issue as hole shot and relatively quick plane (with a few people in the boat and a skier or a couple being pulled on a tube)

Want to know if 200 HP is overkill for this boat, or will the extra power help from a torque perspective.  I was considering a 150 - but thought I'd might be better off getting the bigger motor now, rather than regret it later.

John

Best Answer

Answers

• jdunavant
    jdunavant Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    That's a lot of motor for a 188.  I have a 150 E-tec on my 2011 SS201 and couldn't be happier.  We've had four or five full grown adults in the boat while pulling big double tubes without any problem planing.  With 2 adults, 2 kids, and a half tank of fuel I can run 50 MPH @ 5400 RPM WOT.      
  • JohnL
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - very helpful.  The reality is that while my current needs would probably be met by the 150hp (especially with a 4 blade prop) - I don't know what things will look like in a few years as my kids get older.  In any case, I need to resist my egotistic temptation to have the biggest motor.  :-)
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @johnL, well good luck.  And if it helps, I ordered mine with a 175HP.  Unfortunately (actually what turned out to be fortunate) there was a horrible mix-up with my engine from Mercury but my dealer and Mercury couldn't rectify it quickly as they had no 175HP left in stock, and only a 200HP so I had to suffer from a free upgrade from 175 to 200HP :D :P :))
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • JohnL
    Options
    Thanks.  Decided to go with the 150 and put the dollars into a new shore station.  Practicality wins.
  • tomahull
    tomahull Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for all the information on this forum! I got the new 200 HP i4 yamaha on the SS188 and just Love it!
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @tomahull..... Sometimes there isn't enough HP, but there is never TOO MUCH.   Great motor and fantastic setup.  If you're like me, you'll never need that 200HP except on occasion but is fun to have.  Enjoy!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer