Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hull Cleaning

Options
I wet dock my boat in Virginia. Hull gets very dirty, very difficult to clean. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean this? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@GarrettFunDeck.  I've just had the pleasure of cleaning mine after a summer of sitting in the lake.

I find the most effective hull cleaners to remove this contain oxalic acid.  I've tried the ones with muriatic acid, and while they work, take more effort.

What I do (wearing rubber gloves and eye protection because it WILL find a way to flick towards your eyes when you're applying it) is dampen the sponge with the cleaner and simply apply it over the soiled areas (not too thin)  Then I let it sit for a 2-3 mins, and then more aggressively wipe it with the sponge.

I use a bug sponge as I've posted below.  The mesh helps remove any heavy algae build up.

I then simply use a hose or pressure washer to rinse the hull clean. 

Here is one I've used that works well (Brand - I can't confirm this one contains the oxalic acid but the one that does is effective).  There is a video on that page as well with a quick demo. 

http://www.starbrite.com/item/instant-hull-cleaner?category_id=566

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • BamaTony
    BamaTony Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Try out Bar Keeper's Friend.  It is sold in any grocery or Walmart type place and does a great job on any fiberglass surface including your shower.
    --
    2004 Hurricane 237
    Yamaha 225, 4 stroke
    Magic Tilt Trailer
  • GarrettFunDeck
    GarrettFunDeck Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thank you both very much. I'll give these a try and let you know the results