Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Rhino Lining

Options
1pointofview
1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
http://liners.rhinolinings.com/en/applications/boats

I took the boat out for the last time last weekend before winter.  had a great time but at one of the last stops we pulled up to what I thought was a mud bank.  As I got closer, I heard the scrapes and scratching of gravel and shells.  When I got home I saw the results which were a lot of surface scratches a couple of kind deep scrapes but nothing too major.

so, I was kind of thinking, what about rhino lining by boat?  since I am mostly on fresh water and most of the places I go have a lot of rocks and gravel it might save me some money and headaches if I go ahead and rhino line the hull... Anyone have any history/issues/concerns? 
2013 Hurricane SS188
115 Yam
Magic Tilt Trailer
Hotty Toddy

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@1pointofview, it looks interesting but I'd ask a few questions:

1.  Will this affect my hull warranty

2.  How well does it adhere to fiberglass (the installations typically are showing aluminum hull applications only)

3.  How well does it hold up the flex of a fiberglass hull

But I must admit, it does look appealing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    Also wonder how this would affect performance....
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK..... you tweaked my interest enough to make some calls.  Tried Rhino direct was put in queue, but got put on "Leave a message" due to call volume (I really dislike that process of handling calls, it really irks me).  My local Rhino dealer has not done a boat but stated he will try anything (not sure if that's good or bad!).  He said he would need to have the boat positioned upside down to apply the material (I'd love to see that action..... please remove all loose items........ wonder what happens to "things" in between the inner hull and deck?).  Fiberglass can be prepped properly for adhesion, but Rhino lining is far from being perfectly "smooth" due to the low pressure/high viscosity of the material being applied.  That would absolutely cause me concern for performance being adversely effected.  Plus the added weight, plus the $5,000+ price tag he estimated (maybe other dealers might have different pricing).

Definitely an interesting solution for the environment you want to boat in though.  If you try it, PLEASE let us know how it worked out!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer