Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Electrical system down

Yesterday on the lake the entire electric system went out. I noticed the radio so today climbed under and checked the fuse since I felt sure it was blown. It wasn't, and now I've realized the electric system is on the fritz. The main power switch will come on but horn won't work , radio won't work. After a few mins the power won't even come on. Anyone have any suggestions before I take to dealer? Wanted to go out Friday but I'm sure they won't get back to me by then. I have 2 batteries and the motor still runs even w these issues. ??

Comments

• 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I was having problems with my master power relays which I was having the exact same issues.   horn and ignition worked, nothing else.. They were 2 small 2'x2' square thingies that all the electrical wiring for the switches ran through.  Each relay has about 5 posts that all the switches would connect to.  I replaced them and my stuff has run perfectly ever since.  have to get them through a dealer, could not find over the counter anywhere. 
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

I would've suggested the main breaker near the battery but you've stated the main switch did work, but none of the accessories.

1pointofview has a good point that these relays could potentially be faulty.

Not sure your comfort level with testing this.

You can test them yourself but you'd need to know the posts on the relay (the info on the relay in a quick google search should give you this)

Here is sample video of a standard car relay test.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JB63ebFfgU

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2013

I think I've had the same problem with my 2012 SS188.  It's happened twice when I was out.   Motor starts fine but horn, radio, fishfinder all lost power.   I called my dealer the last time it happened and he said to reset the breaker coming from the battery.   I was on the water so I couldn't see into the battery compartment very well and ended up pushing whatever connectors came from the battery that I could feel.   I have no idea what I did but the power came back on.   Since then I've had the dealer install a second starter battery and it happened once again.   I never could figure out what the "breaker" near the battery looks like.  

nquirk - can you describe it to be since you mentioned it?  What does it look like and where is it?   

• nquirk
    edited October 2013

No problem.  Where the large cable is on the POS side of the battery, about 6-12 inches from the terminal you'll see a plastic resettable breaker with a red rubberized cover on it.  There is a small reset switch on it.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/shop-by-brand/sea-dog-marine/electrical-lighting/fuses-breakers-blocks/sea-dog-cover-for-resettable-circuit-breakers-420840-1.html

Note, if its tripped, you reset it and it trips again, you have an electrical load or short issue you need to address immediately and not replace it with a higher rated amperage breaker.

Hope this helps.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a problem with my master and accessory switches intermittently working (sometimes just one or two, sometimes more, sometimes all) and finally dying altogether.  My dealer found the cable harness from the helm to the battery area had a watertight multi-pin connector located in the engine compartment that failed.  Disconnecting the connector revealed the pins were corroded, but they weren't sure if it was from moisture or electrical arcing (the connector was NOT submerged in water and it was a watertight connector, so my vote would be for the electrical arcing theory).  The connector was returned to Hurricane for evaluation, but I hadn't heard of what they determined.  You might try to find that connector and check it too.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Epavuk
    Thanks nquirk!  That's the exact breaker I have, but I still don't see a reset button on it...just the 2 bolts and red cover. Is the button located on the back side?  Thanks for your help!
  • nquirk

@epavuk, its not an obvious reset.  In fact, it looks like a small tab on the side.  Like this little black tab on the side of this breaker.  It may be covered as well by the plastic/rubber boot on the breaker.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • Epavuk
    Thanks nquirk!  I finally get it!   I really appreciate it!
  • jdunavant
    jdunavant Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I use my SS201 about 75/25 saltwater to freshwater. I have learned that keeping all the push on electrical connections cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease is vital. Today was the first electrical issue I've had this year. The stereo starting blinking out so I traced it down to one of the multi pin connectors inside the console. Does anyone know if it's ok to use grease on multi pin connectors?