Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

06 SD257 Issues

Options
Jayson86
Jayson86 Member Posts: 4
I just purchased an 06 SD 257 w/ 350 Mag MPI I/O. love the boat!!!!! But have found several issues that are bugging the crap out of me. #1 The draining system is terrible!!! Every compartment up front holds water. I blew the lines clear with air and water blew out the starboard side hull exit. Yet more water just comes back up through the drain!! The routing just doesn't make sense. I forced water through the sink drain and it came up through the floor?! Also, if you bounce your foot on the plastic lining of the ski locker it's like a wave, and all you can hear is water sloshing around below it. Am I missing something or do I have a problem.? I really appreciate any help you can provide. I'm going nuts ! Thank you

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jayson86.  Is your bilge filled with water?  The reference to stepping on the ski locker and hearing water seems to me like you're not discharging water build up in the bilge.

Does your bilge pump work manually?  If so, does it have a float switch.  It sounds as though you have a bilge full of water.

Once you empty it, you need to start to determine possible sources of water into the boat (rain, splashing from waves, drain plug, scupper, bilge access covers, etc)

I don't have a sink so I can say for certain if it dumps direct to bilge or has a separate drain however I'd suspect regardless, the drain on that should at minimum drain into your bilge which appears to be full of water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Jayson86
    Options
    As far as water in the stern around the bilge/motor compartment, no it's dry. Idk if maybe I need to tilt the boat way up high in the front to try and cause water to run back? And all the drains are connected like the sink. Force water or air into the front under seat storage or anchor storage and the excess water comes out the starboard through hull,and also up through the drain in the seal channel of the ski locker
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting.  The excess water should come out the drain on the starboard side (scupper).  I'm interested in the ski locker water.  I wonder if its double layered and there is actually water trapped between the two layers of the locker liner?

I don't have that style locker insert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Jayson86
    Options
    That's a good thought about the locker being layered. I could deal with that. Anyway of finding this out??? The drains have got me stumped most
  • delhaven
    delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options

Seems like the issue of improperly piped drainlines keeps surfacing. Is this a problem with all Hurricanes, or just an isolated problem with a few. Would like to hear from other owners about their experience.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No drain issues whatsoever on my model.  I have separate drains for the deck and sinks.  I believe the storage areas and cup holders drain into the hull which the bilge would discharge.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• mike_n_dave
    mike_n_dave Member Posts: 2
    Options
    We're watching these answers with interest. Just bought an older FD 196 to restore and we're wondering how to get into hull to work on drains, wiring, etc...Looks like we'll also need access to tighten or replace fishing chairs.